Monday, January 6, 2014

Jan. 6, 2014


I noticed that I have been posting 2013 as the date for the last 5 posts. It is 2014. Just a little type-o. We had whole grain hot cereal again for breakfast. Owen wasn't here, he was on the mountain collecting more wood with his dad. They went to lunch at the Long Branch in Weston when they were done and I didn't ask what he ate. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.


However, our dinner as excellent. I put four duck breasts and two goose legs in the slow cooker. I covered them in salt, cumin, and chili powder and let them cook on high for three hours. I then shredded the meat into the juices and we ate it on corn tortillas with brown rice and black beans. It was the best I have ever had duck.


One thing I noticed with this whole foods diet is that it takes less food to feel full. The plate size I'm used to is now too much. I made myself two tacos with meat, rice and beans and found that I was forcing myself to finish. Habits are a funny thing. Halfway through the second taco I was full. The same was true this morning with the hot cereal. A normal sized bowl of cold cereal is too much if it's hot cereal. I will have to slow down and retrain myself to gauge food portions from my stomach and not my eyes. Not a bad idea anyway.


Another area of change for us is the use of non-toxic cleaners and toiletry products. I purchased an all purpose cleaner, bathroom sanitizer and soap scum remover last week. All of them are non-toxic and plant derived. They are good for the planet and for us. I haven't asked Morgan if they work very well, but it's nice to go by the bathroom when she's cleaning and smell a wonderful crisp scent of botanicals instead of harsh chemicals.


Auto-immune diseases are heavily linked to high levels of toxins and metals in the body. We are exposed to toxins so often in ways we can not control, it makes sense to use wisdom in the areas that we can control. With time I'm sure I can find ways to make my own cleaners at a fraction of the cost of retail cleaners. But for now it was about getting toxins out of Owen's world as quickly as possible.


I purchased a plant derived laundry detergent called "Ecos" from Walmart about a month ago, but I didn't like it. While using it all my whites turned grey and the clothes seemed to sour easily. Also, I felt itchy all over. Last week I bought one called, "BioKleen". I bought a laundry detergent and a bleach alternative. I have to say that I love my bleach so I'm going to have to see if I can make the adjustment. Bleach is not good for us, but it's also death to the septic tank. So, I may have to say goodbye to bright white towels for the sake of our health.


Dinner is done and cleaned up. Leftovers are in the fridge and I am ready to call it a night and watch some BBC chick flicks with my girls.


Until next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment