Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jan. 22, 2014


Yesterday I bought spelt berries at Andy's market and this morning I ground them into flour and made two loaves of bread. They turned out beautiful. I chose spelt because it's a grain that some people, who are allergic to wheat, can digest happily. I have tried it before for myself. It seemed that I still suffered from joint pain and swelling when I ate spelt, but I'm giving it another try. If I can find a flour source that we can all eat, then it makes baking much easier for me. Up to this point I have baked with whole wheat for them, Gluten free for me.


There is a difference between being Gluten intolerant, allergic to wheat, and Celiac's disease. When I was tested I was tested positive for a wheat allergy, but not a sensitivity to Gluten. However, I find that gluten tends to puff me up, so I have stayed clear of all glutenous grains and chosen a gluten-free diet up to this point. Being gluten free is hard though, and sometimes is not the healthiest option when baking for oneself. It would seem the best thing to just remove all need for baked goods since it causes such a fuss, but easier said than done.


Right now I am eating a hot-out-of-the-oven slice of bread with margarine and honey on it. We will see if I have any adverse affects. It will take a couple days to really tell.


My bread recipe is really easy and I only measure two ingredients. I learned the recipe from my mother who did all our baking and cooking from scratch.


You take a large mixing bowl, fill it about a fourth to a third of the way full with warm water. The more water you use the more loaves you will get. You then add two teaspoons of yeast and about 1/4 cup of honey. You adjust the yeast and honey to how much more or less bread that you make. Set the bowl aside in a warm place and allow the yeast to act. It will get bubbly and you will smell the strong yeast scent. Then add two teaspoons of salt. I always do the same measurement for yeast and salt. They seem to correspond well. Don't add the salt before you allow the yeast to act because salt can kill the yeast. Then pour your choice of oil to cover almost the whole surface of the water. Add two eggs. (this recipe does fine without eggs if you are vegan) I add egg to up the protein and add moisture since it is 100% whole grain.


Now, just add flour. If you are using a big mixer then allow the mixer to mix until the dough is firm. I always finish the dough with hand-kneading. Mixers just don't get  things even. Oil a large bowl and roll the dough in the oil to coat the whole surface of the dough ball. This is important. The oil will keep the top of the dough ball from developing a crust. Let the dough rise until  it fills the bowl. Punch down and let rise at least one more time. Knead the dough again to press out any air bubbles and cut into loaf sizes. Oil loaf pans and allow to rise half-way and then bake at 325 for one hour.


This recipe has been faithfully successful for years and does well to accommodate all kinds of flours or additives. You can use apple sauce instead of egg for moisture or add wheat germ or oats etc. The options are endless. If the bread is too yeasty, next time use less yeast. If you want it sweeter, use more honey, if you want it fluffier, do half whole wheat, half white flour. You will develop a loaf that will be your favorite and you'll feel like Betty Crocker because it always turns out.


Just like the manna in the desert, this bread will not keep like your store-bought loaves, so eat it quickly or freeze it for later. I only make two loaves at a time. they get eaten within two days. After two days they are crumbly and dry. But never fear, your bread is still valuable. It makes great French toast and if you cube it and dry it in the oven you can season it for stuffing or croutons. Waste not!


That makes for a good lesson on peace. Jesus said that He is the Bread of Life. If we consume Jesus in the same way that we consume bread then we will have all that we need and won't have to get by on yesterday's grace. We need to consume the things of God every day. His mercies are new every morning and are designed for what that day holds. When we don't devote time to read the Word and pray then we do not have what we need to face the day. Jesus has bread to serve to us daily, all we need to do is sit at the table and be served!


Well, happy bread making.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment