Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jan. 28, 2014


It's beginning to happen! You can smell it in the air. You can feel it, like a subtle adjustment or shift in the atmospheric conditions. Spring is coming! I was out his morning milking my goats and I felt it, like a strange presence, an eerie something and I realized that things were waking up! I'm just being funny, but I do think that things are beginning to stir.


It made me start thinking about my garden. This year I want to plant a more successful garden. Last year was a good start, but I would love to have twice the produce this year. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me but it's fun to think about. One thing I'll do different is plant less variety. We like zucchini, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, spinach, eggplant, and cabbage.


I also want to raise foods that will store through the winter. I have a wonderful 100+ year old cellar on my place and I plan to fill it to full by the end of the summer. My sister has this cool thing that she started several years ago. She made a list of every item that she uses in the house, like a giant shopping list. She made the list on the computer. When she gets ready to go shopping she goes over the list and checks her supply of all those items. If she's low on something she keeps it on the list, if she has plenty, she deletes it. When she's done she has her base shopping list that she then prints. I thought this was a great idea because how often do we go to the store and come home, AGAIN, without any light bulbs, or something other item that we forget to add to the list. The reason I am mentioning this is because it's a good idea and, it would be a great way to decide what to grow and store up in the cellar.


It's my goal to store six months worth of food and supplies in the cellar. It's a good idea because one never knows when things will get tough and even if they don't, think of the money and time one can save through the winter if one owns ones own store. Just a little thing I learned from some hippy friends.


Well, enjoy the thought that spring is almost here and let your mind wander to the sunny, creative, time of the year. It's never too early to start planning.


Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I liked your blog very good ideas, something to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete