Thursday, February 6, 2014

Jan. 6, 2014


I just spent three day in Leavenworth Wa. with my husband Owen. We went away for our 20th year wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful time. We enjoyed cross-country skiing and window shopping in the Bavarian tourist trap. We're not afraid to call it what it is, and we don't mind admitting that we occasionally enjoy the well- marketed places of the world.


However, being there among the trees and the snow made us long to be home. Why? Because home is such a great place! We have so much fun on our farm with friends and family, that we're satisfied and content with the adventures that home- life presents.


We talked most of the way to Leavenworth about our garden, organic gardening, chickens, the chicken house, where to house the pigs this spring and whether or not to keep the milk cow.


We decided that a milk cow was a must because we're serious about clean milk and I couldn't convince Owen that he would enjoy goat milk once he got used to it. Our current Jersey milk cow, however, is not satisfactory, even though she's very sweet and an easy handler. Her milk doesn't have the fat content that we would like. There's never enough cream at the top of the jar for butter. Last summer we sold a milk cow that had great milk fat but she had the nasty habit of laying her bag in mud. This made cleaning her before milking a big and nasty chore. We've gone through three Jersey cows in the 18 months that we have been here. I'm sure that we will eventually find the perfect one.


In the meantime, my three does have kept me in milk year round. I have made butter with the goat milk, and cheese, but we seem to use it up too fast for very much of that. Right now I'm only milking one. My two Alpines will kid this spring and then I'll have lots of surplus milk, perfect for butter and cheese. I hope to grow the herd to five-seven milking does. That way I can stagger the kidding and have fresh does year round with milk aplenty to share with friends.


One topic we returned to several times over the three days of vacation was that of the root cellar. We even spent several hours on the computer in the motel room reading up on it and making plans for the one we own. Root cellars are all but a thing of the past, but as more people; like ourselves, want off the marry-go-round of our current culture, the idea of a root cellar becomes more endearing.


Our farm consists of a large white farm house, a root cellar, a large chicken house and a small cabin/stable that sits right behind the house. The cabin probably housed the original family and their horse while they built the rest of the buildings. All these structures were built in 1904-05 and still hold much of their original grandeur, especially the house. There's also a large red barn that was built later and housed hogs and a "shop" or outbuilding that's also red in color. I wish I knew the whole story on the place. I imagine that the original homestead had a barn, but I don't know if the current two-story barn that sits on the place is original.


But, back to the root cellar. When we looked at the place before we bought it I remember the excitement I felt when I realized the little building with the funny, thick, door was a root cellar! I was so stoked. 18 years of talking about living on a farm and enjoying a "simpler" lifestyle and a root cellar was always a part of the dream. I figured we would build one when we finally got out in the country, so you can imagine the thrill when I opened the old sawdust-filled door and descended three steps into a brick lined root cellar complete with a hundred year old potato box and a few quart jars scattered on old wooden shelves. It makes me tear up to think of it.


No one but God could have known how badly I wanted a root cellar and only He would have known that the brick lined walls and wooden potato box were to me a treasure better than gold. It was a very spiritual moment. You know, those moments; like a breath of frigid air, when you know that God is so real and that He loves you dearly. I think that God will have fun with my mansion in heaven. It won't be full of gold and diamonds, but pottery and plants and a few really beautiful quilts. Natural things and old things. Yep, that's me. No foo foo shoo shoo, just simple and elegant, naturally elegant.


Anyway, back to my root cellar. It's in great shape, but needs some new mortar a good vacuuming and it will be ready to go. From what I've read, late fall is the best time to start filling it and I hope to store six months of provisions by the first freeze. Of course a root cellar is for root produce, but can be a great place to store canned goods to. The idea is to "put up" enough foods during the summer and fall months to get you through until summer when food is growing aplenty again. Yes, you can just buy it at the store, but how much more rewarding to know that a good summer's time of work can last the cold days of winter. I think it especially useful if one wants to know what is in the food that one eats. If one grows it, cans it, and puts it away, then one can eat with confidence. It's also much cheaper but is a trade of time for money.


I do not presume to think I will, in fact, grow every thing that I "put up", but I will have the advantage of hand- selecting the produce and using recipes that ensure health.


I love the term "put up" because it comes from a dear friend of mine, Sharon Carter, who lives in much of the way that I aspire to live. She uses the phrase "put up" when referring to her many jars of preserves, peaches, and pickled goods. Whenever I use it I think of her. That's one of the wonderful things about learning and developing homemaking skills, I get to meet so many wonderful women and their influence in my life is remembered every time I use one of their techniques. What a privilege to be surrounded by such a cloud of remarkable women of God! Every task I endeavor to do reflects the teacher it came from.


One thing I read is that it's important to know the temperature and humidity levels of the cellar. The reason for this is that certain foods store better under certain conditions. Once the temp and humidity of the cellar is established then I will have a better idea as to which foods to plan to store. I put the meter in the cellar a couple hours ago. I'll go out and check it now.


According to the meter it is 28 degrees F and 50 % humidity. The outside temp is 33 degrees F and it's snowing hard. Hmmm. That is not good. The cellar is supposed to stay above freezing. The perfect temp for a cellar is 34-45 degrees and the humidity is supposed to be at 95%. I'll wait until morning and check it again. The meter is new and may not be working. It's a good thing that I'm checking during the winter months. One hard freeze in your cellar would be the end of dozens of quart jars of food and produce. I may have to insulate the cellar or look for ways in which the cold is getting in. It will have to wait for daylight.


Now is the time to repair and make ready my cellar. I think I have my work cut out for me tomorrow, and the next day, and the next...


Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment